[clug] OT CanFP

Bob Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Thu Jul 23 00:05:39 UTC 2015

On 22/07/15 22:13, Bryan Kilgallin wrote:
> Tonight I arrived late at the NICTA building in Civic. Waiting outside
> which I endured an exiting bureaucrat refusing entry. Eventually I and
> another attendee got in.
>
> There was (now cold) pizza and beer. But the lectures were far more
> advanced than last month. A guru mumbled through slit-open lips. With
> tiny text. While banging the lectern!
> Speaker: "Does everyone understand this?".
> Me: "No!".
> Speaker: "Well, I'll just carry on, then.".
> :'(
> Whereas the introductory Haskell explanation was reduced to a short talk
> at the end.
>
> The Canberra Functional Programming Group will next meet at 6 PM on
> Wednesday 19 August. I recommend avoiding it!

Hi Bryan,

I have not been to either FP group meeting, so have no personal
interest as such, but I do think it is unfair to be so harshly
critical of their efforts based on one bad experience, especially
on an un-related public list.

Let them know your concerns and how they can avoid similar issues
in the future. That can only be a win-win, I think.

We need to be encouraging more informal get togethers around our
shared interests, not shooting each others efforts down.

cheers,

Bob Edwards.