[clug] Linux engine management software

Grant Morphett grant at gmorph.com
Thu Aug 13 00:24:58 UTC 2015

As an aside on ArduPilot we support CANBUS (UAVCAN -
https://github.com/UAVCAN/libuavcan) but there isn't a large number of
devices available yet.  A few of us have some prototype ESCs and GPSs but
we would love to get more devices and have adoption really take off as it
provides a large number of advantages over I2C which is the main device
interface at the moment.

Thanks, Grant.

On 12 August 2015 at 13:13, David Austin <david at d-austin.net> wrote:

> On 12 August 2015 at 12:20, Keith Goggin <keith.goggin at bigpond.com> wrote:
>
> > While apropos-ing for something completely different I came across
> > can-utils and Synaptic Package Manager told me ...
> >
> > "CAN is a message-based network protocol designed for vehicles originally
> > created by Robert Bosch GmbH. SocketCAN is a set of open source CAN
> > drivers and a networking stack contributed by Volkswagen Research to the
> > Linux kernel"
> >
> > Can-utils was available for my Distro and the Read-me led to the Linux
> > Kernel Documentation at
> >
> >     <www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/networking/can.txt>
> >
> > Interesting stuff and quite topical given the recent hack of an in-car
> > 'entertainment system' my question to the list is does any of this
> interest
> > you, if so would it be an interesting topic for further investigation
> > and/or discussion?
> >
> > Disclaimer: I have absolutely no interest in hacking someone else's car
> > but merely an interest in decoding and diagnosing faults in my own
> vehicle.
> > AFAIK modern engine management software is closed source which keeps one
> > locked into expensive dealer only vehicle management.
>

> Seems like there's at least something standard for post 1996 vehicles
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-board_diagnostics
>
> But yes, given that all vehicle management functions could fit on ARM-based
> micro easily
> now, an open-source implementation would be nice.  (I recently considered
> various options
> for my '69 MGB - the implementation of distributor timing via a cruddy
> mechanism is just crying
> out for a small micro and a lookup table.)
>
> David
> --

Thanks

Grant