[clug] Linux engine management software

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 01:06:16 UTC 2015

On 12 August 2015 at 12:20, Keith Goggin <keith.goggin at bigpond.com> wrote:
> Disclaimer: I have absolutely no interest in hacking someone else's car but
> merely an interest in decoding and diagnosing faults in my own vehicle.
> AFAIK modern engine management software is closed source which keeps one
> locked into expensive dealer only vehicle management.

If this is all you want, then no it's not all closed, well perhaps a
bit but there is a standard. What is "closed" is what the codes mean,
there are efforts to collate this and the best way in is via things
that others have spent a lot of time putting together.  Here's what I
use for OBD2 (most cars):

   http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2014-HHOBD-ELM327-Car-OBD2-OBDII-Bluetooth-CAN-Scanner-for-TORQUE-ANDROID-Auto-/281449709554?hash=item4187b5bff2

The thing you are looking for is ELM327, yes, these are cheap knock
offs, but in my experience they work. You can get better versions with
flashable firmware. Once you have this, you pay a few coins (or use
the free version) on this:

   https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en

Yes, it costs a few bucks, and it's not on github but as a starting
point it's a very low cost way to get started including access to all
the tables of codes for manufactueres you will need. You can
apparently write plugins for it but I haven't as of yet.

Once you have this working, then play open source versions like this:

   https://github.com/pires/android-obd-reader