[clug] Linux engine management software

David Austin david at d-austin.net
Wed Aug 12 03:13:54 UTC 2015

On 12 August 2015 at 12:20, Keith Goggin <keith.goggin at bigpond.com> wrote:

> While apropos-ing for something completely different I came across
> can-utils and Synaptic Package Manager told me ...
>
> "CAN is a message-based network protocol designed for vehicles originally
> created by Robert Bosch GmbH. SocketCAN is a set of open source CAN
> drivers and a networking stack contributed by Volkswagen Research to the
> Linux kernel"
>
> Can-utils was available for my Distro and the Read-me led to the Linux
> Kernel Documentation at
>
>     <www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/networking/can.txt>
>
> Interesting stuff and quite topical given the recent hack of an in-car
> 'entertainment system' my question to the list is does any of this interest
> you, if so would it be an interesting topic for further investigation
> and/or discussion?
>
> Disclaimer: I have absolutely no interest in hacking someone else's car
> but merely an interest in decoding and diagnosing faults in my own vehicle.
> AFAIK modern engine management software is closed source which keeps one
> locked into expensive dealer only vehicle management.

Seems like there's at least something standard for post 1996 vehicles
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-board_diagnostics

But yes, given that all vehicle management functions could fit on ARM-based
micro easily
now, an open-source implementation would be nice.  (I recently considered
various options
for my '69 MGB - the implementation of distributor timing via a cruddy
mechanism is just crying
out for a small micro and a lookup table.)

David