[clug] Rsync Diffs

Paul Harvey csirac2 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 04:35:43 UTC 2015

On 4 August 2015 at 14:25, Brett Worth <brett.worth at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 04/08/15 14:16, Paul Harvey wrote:
>>
>> Individual machines may keep accumulating snapshots locally, while you
>> randomly and asynchronously transfer those snapshots to multiple other
>> filesystems (remote, portable, whatever) at any frequency you like.
>

> The example I gave yesterday had no sizes mentioned.  The data in the
> filesystem represents about 200GB of data while the deltas represent about
> 4-8GB/week. Or 1 to 2 DVD-R's.
>
> If the delta between the two snapshots could be dumped then reapplied to the
> remote filesystem then it would work.  Is that possible?

It so happens that both "btrfs send" and "zfs send" can be output to a
file and indeed "btrfs receive" or "zfs receive"'d later.

BUT it is important to note that these commands only work on
*snapshots*. They can't be applied in-situ to your working volumes. So
if you go down this path of serializing send output, you must take
care to never accidentally prune the parent snapshots to which they
apply.

I'm not a fan of this approach, but plenty of people seem to do it this way.

> Coincidently these filesystems are in fact on zfs.

Check out sanoid https://github.com/jimsalterjrs/sanoid/ - it's
designed for you :-)