[clug] OT: Horrific speeds on NBN

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Mon Aug 3 11:20:29 UTC 2015

On 3 Aug 2015, at 16:49, Carlo Hamalainen <carlo at carlo-hamalainen.net> wrote:

> * Downloading HD video from youtube using youtube-dl: 2.2 MB/s
> * Downloading a tarball from my EC2 host (US-east): 80 KB/s
> * Apt-get update using au.archive.ubuntu.com: 80 KB/s
> * Apt-get update using us.archive.ubuntu.com: 80 KB/s
> * Wget of
> http://download.skype.com/linux/skype-ubuntu-precise_4.3.0.37-1_i386.deb: 80
> KB/s
> * Wget of http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/test/100meg.test: 400 KB/s
>
> Meanwhile I can reliably upload via scp to my EC2 host at 600 KB/s.
>
> Does TPG run some kind of transparent proxy that lets Youtube traffic
> through and demotes everything else to worse-than-ADSL2 speeds?

I suspect YouTube comes from a peering connection located inside Australia, while everything else you’re mentioning comes from somewhere outside TPG’s own network or their peering partners’ connections.

Do some packet inspection of your own, see where the traffic is coming from and find out what trace route tells you about that path.

Alex