[clug] OT: Horrific speeds on NBN

Paul Harvey csirac2 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 01:58:45 UTC 2015

It's been 10 years since I last used TPG myself, but they have a very
long history of "optimizing" their network: cheapest routes (rather
than fastest), using transparent proxy caches (but still counting your
quota against said caches), etc. etc. It's possible to configure a
network that gives good speed tests to the speed testing sites, after
all.

With a normal ISP I'd send the support team a *reproducible*, succinct
list of steps including traceroute information with the
speed/ping/latency complaint. With a normal ISP, half the time, this
actually results in something useful happening (even if it's "some AS
number is advertising weird routes via uzbekistan right now, there's
nothing we can do").

If you can bring yourself to do some tests between 02:00-07:00, and
find it's substantially better than 17:00-21:00, this is probably
simply just a result of the business model of high-contention capacity
planning (i.e. congestion) at the local end.

If not, it could still be capacity issues due to deliberate choice of
congested (cheapest) peers along the path to the far end.

In any case, send traceroutes and detailed (but clear/succinct)
*reproducible* information in your support tickets.

You might get better advice from whirlpool.net.au (aka "whingepool",
but ISP reps do actually hang out there and if not, sometimes
knowledgeable people do respond).