[clug] Desktop commandline & remote embedded device

Bryan Kilgallin bryan at netspeed.com.au
Sat Nov 15 05:11:18 MST 2014

G'day, Eyal:

> On 15/11/14 18:27, Bryan Kilgallin wrote:
>> My Openmoko phone has restricted busybox Linux software. Whereas my
>> desktop PC has a much larger suite of commandline programs.
>> I wanted to use the Desktop PC's commandline programs to interrogate
>> the phone. But I didn't know how to tell the former to look at the
>> latter, which ws connected via SSH.
>>
>> Specifically I tried using lscpu. The error message told me that it
>> was looking for /proc/cpuinfo. So I used the phone to vi that file.
>>
>> The commandline connection method is as follows.
>> ssh root at 192.168.0.202
>>
>> How can I instruct my PC's commandline programs (lscpu in the above
>> example) to query the phone instead of the PC?
>
> You cannot do this. Once you ssh to your phone you can only use
> executables provided there.
> Your original system (the PC) runs the ssh client which does nothing
> more that move
> characters to, and from the ssh server on the phone.

Using the Nautilus GUI file manager, I opened an sftp window to the
phone. Thereby I used Text Editor to read the phone's /proc/cpuinfo file.
That listed as follows, which was the information that I had earlier
sought via the lscpu commandline program.

Processor    : ARM920T rev 0 (v4l)
BogoMIPS    : 199.47
Features    : swp half thumb
CPU implementer    : 0x41
CPU architecture: 4T
CPU variant    : 0x1
CPU part    : 0x920
CPU revision    : 0
Cache type    : write-back
Cache clean    : cp15 c7 ops
Cache lockdown    : format A
Cache format    : Harvard
I size        : 16384
I assoc        : 64
I line length    : 32
I sets        : 8
D size        : 16384
D assoc        : 64
D line length    : 32
D sets        : 8

Hardware    : GTA02
Revision    : 0360
Serial        : 0000000000000000

> This is different than querying a file system (e.g. a disk over USB,
> nfs, smb etc.), where
> once you mount it in your system you can use your native commands to
> access it.

Steve suggested sshfs, which I have installed and fumblingly attempted
to use. It seems to be about mounting a filesystem.

{This is a filesystem client based on the SSH File Transfer Protocol.}
http://fuse.sourceforge.net/sshfs.html

--
www.netspeed.com.au/bryan/