[clug] Video card

Bryan Kilgallin bryan at netspeed.com.au
Thu Nov 6 05:42:02 MST 2014

Hi George:

> Who needs a video card with dual ports for dual monitors ?

Me!

> What bus type?

I opened up the PC and cleaned it.

>    PCIe or AGP ?

Extension slots available are:
     * 1 AGP; and
     * 4 PCI.

> I am about to throw out a few such old cards, but they would not be
> suitable for gaming, way too slow, but would be suitable for dual
> monitors working with text and web pages, etc.

The only game I play on the PC is a Web site chess game.

Because the installed video is inadequate, the Ubuntu updater said that
my PC was unsuitable for upgrading to the latest version.

I had thought it would be nice to try out a file manager with a 3D
interface.

> I also have several sata Hard Disk drives, 80 GB to 120 GB  in
> capacity, that need to be disposed of.

That's a lot more than I currently have!

> Anyone using them should run
> a disk exerciser over them first to ensure they are worthy of your
> data, as they are not young and I do not know how reliable the data
> retention is.

Please advise what this is.

> There maybe a few older computers too, but not sure about that yet.

I have been experimenting with SSH into a 400 MHz phone!

--
www.netspeed.com.au/bryan/