[clug] how to use traceroute (now: iinet performance)

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Tue Jun 24 21:32:13 MDT 2014

On 06/25/14 13:21, Scott Ferguson wrote:
> On 25/06/14 13:05, Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:
>> Scott, how did you copy the results from the ndt flash panel? my firefox
>> won't let me.
>
> (from memory) Clicked on the Details button, then clicked on the start
> of the text, dragged the mouse to select all, Ctrl+C.

Not here. Not with Ctrl+C and not with RightClick/copy.
This is firefox 30.0 on f19.
Maybe you installed some extension?

> I also note you appear to have your DNS less than optimally configured -
> though you may have (local) DNS caching configured. DNS (using

Yes, have a local DNS. However, for one (long) download, how much does the DNS degrade the result?
No other activity on the line at the same time.

> workbench) is normally the first place I start tuning broadband
> connections (ISP supplied DNS is generally not optimal).
>
> Then I check MTU/MRU and MSS on my router (Debian box).
>
> After that I tune my network buffers based on the results from NDT:-
> scott at work:~$ cat /proc/sys/net/core/rmem_default
> 163840
> scott at work:~$ cat /proc/sys/net/core/rmem_max
> 131071
> scott at work:~$ cat /proc/sys/net/core/wmem_default
> 163840
> scott at work:~$ cat /proc/sys/net/core/wmem_max
> 131071
> scott at work:~$ cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_mem #NOTE: this is only for IPV4
> 21180   28243   42360
> scott at work:~$ cat /proc/sys/net/core/optmem_max
> 10240
>
> I 'suspect' your slow connection is due to the common poor performance
> we get in Canberra when Telstra's cables get wet (many have poor joints
> and lots of cables are so old they've lost their oil - you'll see it as
> "loss to earth on one leg" which degrades sync).

Probably, but how come the whole problem went away after midnight, and is back this morning?
I suspect lack of bandwidth capacity (network overloaded big time).

Eyal

--
Eyal Lebedinsky (eyal at eyal.emu.id.au)