[clug] how to use traceroute (now: iinet performance)

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 22:34:34 MDT 2014

http://ge.tt/9nrnn1m1/v/0

> This is firefox 30.0 on f19.
> Maybe you installed some extension?

Yes.
:)
But never-the-less it should work for you too. Details below.

>> I also note you appear to have your DNS less than optimally configured -
>> though you may have (local) DNS caching configured. DNS (using
>
> Yes, have a local DNS. However, for one (long) download, how much does
> the DNS degrade the result?

Time it takes to resolve the address + time it takes to download the
data = Broadband speed (not the same as download speed).

The real problem comes when you try and translate "download speed" into
real-life broadband performance. e.g. download a web page that sources
components from a dozen different addresses.

> No other activity on the line at the same time.

<snipped>

>> I 'suspect' your slow connection is due to the common poor performance
>> we get in Canberra when Telstra's cables get wet (many have poor joints
>> and lots of cables are so old they've lost their oil - you'll see it as
>> "loss to earth on one leg" which degrades sync).
>
> Probably, but how come the whole problem went away after midnight, and
> is back this morning?

rerouting?

> I suspect lack of bandwidth capacity (network overloaded big time).

Yes, a mostly likely cause. Comparing an NDT result from then with one
from now would show that.

> Eyal

Name: Iceweasel
Version: 30.0
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; rv:30.0) Gecko/20100101
Firefox/30.0 Iceweasel/30.0

Extensions
----------

Name: Adblock Plus
Version: 2.6.3

Name: CacheIt!
Version: 2.0.3

Name: cliget
Version: 1.2.1

Name: DownloadHelper
Version: 4.9.22

Name: Firebug
Version: 2.0.1

Name: FireFTP
Version: 2.0.19

Name: FireFTP button
Version: 1.1.1d

Name: Flashblock
Version: 1.5.17

Name: Greasemonkey
Version: 1.15

Name: It's All Text!
Version: 1.8.1

Name: Live HTTP headers
Version: 0.17

Name: LocalLink
Version: 0.5

Name: New Tab Tools
Version: 26

Name: NoScript
Version: 2.6.8.29

Name: Print pages to PDF
Version: 0.1.9.3

Name: RightToClick  #NOTE: not enabled
Version: 2.9.5

Name: Self-Destructing Cookies
Version: 0.4.4

Name: User Agent Switcher
Version: 0.7.3

Name: Add to Search Bar
Version: 2.5

Name: Add-on Compatibility Reporter
Version: 2.0.4

Name: Autofill Forms
Version: 0.9.9.0

Name: Awesome screenshot: Capture and Annotate
Version: 2.4.3

Name: Browser Sign In
Version: 0.1.5

Name: BugMeNot Plugin
Version: 3

Name: CSS Usage
Version: 0.3.3

Name: cssUpdater
Version: 0.5.2

Name: Debian buttons
Version: 1.10

Name: DNSSEC Validator
Version: 1.1.5

Name: DownThemAll!
Version: 2.0.17

Name: Dust-Me Selectors
Version: 4.1

Name: EPUBReader
Version: 1.4.2.4

Name: Exif Viewer
Version: 2.00

Name: Extended DNSSEC Validator
Version: 0.5

Name: FireDiff
Version: 1.2.1

Name: Fireformat
Version: 1.0.1

Name: Firefox OS Simulator
Version: 4.0.1

Name: Firepicker
Version: 1.4.3

Name: FlashFirebug
Version: 4.7.6

Name: FlashGot
Version: 1.5.5.99

Name: Font Information
Version: 0.3.1

Name: FoxGuide
Version: 1.4

Name: FoxReplace
Version: 0.16.1

Name: Google Plus Manager
Version: 1.0

Name: GoogleSharing
Version: 0.22

Name: GridFox
Version: 2.0

Name: Groundspeed
Version: 1.2

Name: Illuminations for Developers
Version: 1.1.28

Name: iMacros for Firefox
Version: 8.8.2

Name: JavaScript Deobfuscator
Version: 1.6.4

Name: KDE Wallet password integration
Version: 2.2

Name: Modify Headers
Version: 0.7.1.1

Name: Nightly Tester Tools
Version: 3.7

Name: Open With
Version: 5.6.1

Name: PageDiff
Version: 1.5

Name: PageRank
Version: 2.0

Name: Passive Cache
Version: 1.3b

Name: Password Exporter
Version: 1.2.1

Name: QuickJS
Version: 1.1

Name: RefreshBlocker
Version: 0.8

Name: ScrapBook
Version: 1.5.9

Name: Scriptify
Version: 0.2.6

Name: Server Switcher
Version: 0.5.4

Name: TinEye Reverse Image Search
Version: 1.1

Name: View Dependencies
Version: 0.3.3.2

Name: W3Techs Website Technology Information
Version: 1.0

Name: Wappalyzer
Version: 3.0.11

Name: WCAG Contrast checker
Version: 1.5.1

Name: YSlow
Version: 3.1.8

Important Modified Preferences
------------------------------

accessibility.blockautorefresh: true
accessibility.typeaheadfind.flashBar: 0
browser.cache.disk.capacity: 358400
browser.cache.disk.smart_size_cached_value: 358400
browser.cache.disk.smart_size.first_run: false
browser.cache.disk.smart_size.use_old_max: false
browser.places.importBookmarksHTML: false
browser.places.smartBookmarksVersion: 7
browser.startup.homepage_override.mstone: 30.0
dom.mozApps.used: true
extensions.lastAppVersion: 30.0
font.name.serif.x-western: Oxygen
network.cookie.prefsMigrated: true
places.database.lastMaintenance: 1403087153
places.history.expiration.transient_current_max_pages: 79721
plugin.disable_full_page_plugin_for_types: application/pdf
plugin.importedState: true
privacy.sanitize.migrateFx3Prefs: true
storage.vacuum.last.index: 1
storage.vacuum.last.places.sqlite: 1403087153

Plugins
------------------------------
Shockwave Flash

    File: libflashplayer.so,libflashplayer.so
    Version: 11.2.202.378
    State: Enabled
    Shockwave Flash 11.2 r202

Java(TM) Plug-in 10.60.2

    File: libnpjp2.so
    Version: 10.60.2
    State: Enabled
    Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.60.2 for Mozilla browsers

Kind regards