[clug] how to use traceroute (now: iinet performance)

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 21:21:27 MDT 2014

On 25/06/14 13:05, Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:
> Scott, how did you copy the results from the ndt flash panel? my firefox
> won't let me.

(from memory) Clicked on the Details button, then clicked on the start
of the text, dragged the mouse to select all, Ctrl+C.

I also note you appear to have your DNS less than optimally configured -
though you may have (local) DNS caching configured. DNS (using
workbench) is normally the first place I start tuning broadband
connections (ISP supplied DNS is generally not optimal).

Then I check MTU/MRU and MSS on my router (Debian box).

After that I tune my network buffers based on the results from NDT:-
scott at work:~$ cat /proc/sys/net/core/rmem_default
163840
scott at work:~$ cat /proc/sys/net/core/rmem_max
131071
scott at work:~$ cat /proc/sys/net/core/wmem_default
163840
scott at work:~$ cat /proc/sys/net/core/wmem_max
131071
scott at work:~$ cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_mem #NOTE: this is only for IPV4
21180   28243   42360
scott at work:~$ cat /proc/sys/net/core/optmem_max
10240

I 'suspect' your slow connection is due to the common poor performance
we get in Canberra when Telstra's cables get wet (many have poor joints
and lots of cables are so old they've lost their oil - you'll see it as
"loss to earth on one leg" which degrades sync).

> Eyal
>

> On 06/25/14 12:41, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>
> [trim]
>
>> NDT test run towards M-Lab server
>> ndt.iupui.mlab2.syd02.measurement-lab.org
>>
>> RTT between client and M-Lab server
>> 49 ms
>>
>> DOWNLOAD SPEED
>> 3.7 Mbps
>>
>> UPLOAD SPEED
>> 1.7 Mbps
>>
>> As you can see my network settings could be optimised further:-
>
> [trim]
>
>> Kind regards

Kind regards