[clug] linux friendly vendors

Jason Nielsen j.lee.nielsen at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 22:50:45 MDT 2014

I am looking at replacing my work machine, I do not have a firm price
point yet. What linux friendly vendors are people going with?

My current machine is a 2009 MacBook Pro (4GB RAM, Nvidia and spinning
rust) that was running Ubuntu but has fallen back on MacOS because I
loose external monitor support each time I do a Ubuntu upgrade and
have been too busy to rediscover how to fix it. I am not that
impressed by their build quality or design so I am fine to go with any
vendor. (sharp edges, usb too close together, needs an adaptor to use
an external monitor).

I had a look at System76 but I am not sure about
support/warranty/shipping since they do not seem to have an AU
presence at all.

Are dead pixels a solved problem? What else do I need to watch out
for? I think Optimus support is the root of my current problems.

I do not need a laptop for portability so would go with a desktop
happily as long as it has good dual monitor support and is fairly
quite.

As fas as performance I am not gaming or anything by PyCharm loves to
eat ram so looking at 8-16 GB RAM and a solid state drive (I do not
use the optical drive, SD reader or firewire etc).

Jason Nielsen