[clug] linux friendly vendors

Edward Lang edlang at edlang.org
Tue Jul 29 01:20:36 MDT 2014

Hi,

If you're looking at System76, are you primarily interested in
compatibility with Ubuntu? If so, Ubuntu's own database of certified
hardware may the best starting point:

http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/desktop/

I'm also in the market for a new laptop and some of the Clevo-based laptops
look interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clevo

I haven't yet got to the point of investigating OS compatibility.

Edward.

On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 2:20 PM, Jason Nielsen <j.lee.nielsen at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I am looking at replacing my work machine, I do not have a firm price
> point yet. What linux friendly vendors are people going with?
>
> My current machine is a 2009 MacBook Pro (4GB RAM, Nvidia and spinning
> rust) that was running Ubuntu but has fallen back on MacOS because I
> loose external monitor support each time I do a Ubuntu upgrade and
> have been too busy to rediscover how to fix it. I am not that
> impressed by their build quality or design so I am fine to go with any
> vendor. (sharp edges, usb too close together, needs an adaptor to use
> an external monitor).
>
> I had a look at System76 but I am not sure about
> support/warranty/shipping since they do not seem to have an AU
> presence at all.
>
> Are dead pixels a solved problem? What else do I need to watch out
> for? I think Optimus support is the root of my current problems.
>
> I do not need a laptop for portability so would go with a desktop
> happily as long as it has good dual monitor support and is fairly
> quite.
>
> As fas as performance I am not gaming or anything by PyCharm loves to
> eat ram so looking at 8-16 GB RAM and a solid state drive (I do not
> use the optical drive, SD reader or firewire etc).
>
> Jason Nielsen
> --

Edward C. Lang

http://edlang.org/