[clug] Internet of Things, Machine-Cloud-Machine and the Carduino.

Bob Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Mon Jul 28 21:02:25 MDT 2014

On 29/07/14 12:58, steve jenkin wrote:
> At ANU today, I heard the MIT Prof involved with creating the RFID standard (EPC then).
> He was talking about his current work: Machine-Cloud-Machine
>
> <http://cecs.anu.edu.au/seminars/more/SID/3529>
>
> They tried an in-car prototype that used bluetooth paired with smartphones, but realised a better model was connecting the car to a virtual representation of it (like an Avatar for a person), then authorised users can connect over the Net to data object/stream. It’s a way to store full history, Apps that do various analyses and an interface to connect to various vendors, like Insurance, Tolls, Parking, …
>
> The Carduino plugs into the standard diagnostic sensor and adds GPS, accelerometer and a mobile phone data uplink.
>
> An MIT spinoff, ‘CarKnow’, are developing the plug-in device, for which some CLUG & MHV people may be excellent beta testers .
> <http://www.carknow.me/carduino.html>
>
> The MIT site for the larger project (not a lot of info):
> <http://cloudthink.mit.edu>, which also links to another site, tells you much more.
> <http://cloud-think.com>
>
> A random page describing the ‘CarKnow’ project:
> <http://contest.techbriefs.com/2014/entries/automotive-transportation/4210>
>
> Hope that’s of interest.
>
> steve

He also discussed how cool the new Tesla is with it's downloadable apps...

I wonder if he is aware of:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/07/21/chinese_uni_students_pop_tesla_model_s/

(I know - the competition is about finding and removing all such
vulnerabilities... I wonder if law-enforcement agree... as they
may want to keep their own backdoors into cloudcars - the Prof.
calls them "avacars")

Bob Edwards.