[clug] Story: Fijian Resort complex loses a single disk: business process stops for 1-2 days

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 01:03:59 MDT 2014

On 28/07/14 16:51, Hal Ashburner wrote:
> Hey Scott,
>
> On 28 July 2014 16:27, Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>> Kids, just say no. Apple: not even once. Learn from our mistakes
>>> or what was the point of us making them? We did it all for you!
>>> ;-)
>>
>> :)
>>
>> All knowledge is derived from ignorance?
>

> <snip>
>> Some balance, and context. Despite my personal dislike for
>> closed-source, Apple is the first thing I generally recommend to
>> new computer users...
>
> Evil. Don't do it.

Isn't this why children should be forced to smoke a packet of
cigarettes, stuffed full of hot dogs and milk-shakes, then forced to
ride the Ferris wheel.
Aversion therapy!
;)

> "But the first one is free and it feels soo good..." "Apple Beat me
> up less often than previous pimp and it's my fault when my entire
> music collection is erased so Apple fantastic. Hurrah!"
>
> No. Just no. Don't let anyone trap your friends family photographs,
> music collection etc and hold to ransom. Don't recommend least
> smelly prison cell. Just no. They're friends.
>
> Is joke. I have friends who hack kernel who got caught in the
> cupertino infinite loop. (Although one of them executed a daring
> break statement by losing something called a "4s" in a san francisco
> taxi and claimed his pink slip of triumph. "Best thing that ever
> happened to me." Is how he now describes it.

> Company he went to got acquired by facebrick.

Reminds me of when I won a Microsoft award (free MS products) at CIT
(after being failed by one teacher for submitting the same work) - they
weren't amused when I asked what second prize was.
;p

Kind regards