[clug] Story: Fijian Resort complex loses a single disk: business process stops for 1-2 days

steve jenkin sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au
Mon Jul 28 16:24:53 MDT 2014

On 28 Jul 2014, at 4:51 pm, Hal Ashburner <hal at ashburner.info> wrote:

> "Apple Beat me up less often than previous pimp and it's my fault when
> my entire music collection is erased so Apple fantastic. Hurrah!"

IMHO, Apple is far worse than Microsoft on forcing & maintaining lock-in.

While they seem on the surface to be a “kinder, gentler” version, they are fiercely Proprietary.
They do Hardware and bury the Software in there. It’s not “Embrace, Extend, Exterminate”, but it’s something.

Will they ever make a version of OS/X available to be legally run within a Virtual Machine?
For a long time I’ve felt this is “third line forcing” (or a variant of “exclusive dealing”), illegal here under the TPA/ACL. I’ve never been able to get traction on that one :( [They don’t do the classic “you can only buy X’s beer at this pub", but it is a false, commercially enforced restriction.]

I love Hal’s story about losing the smartphone and the guy/person regaining his life, or at least benefiting greatly.
Thanks for that.