[clug] Offline snooping [now lame telephone scammers]

Mike Carden mike.carden at gmail.com
Fri Jan 31 01:34:14 MST 2014

Since we have drifted off topic...

I have an Internode 'Naked' ADSL plan that affords me the VOIP analogue of
a PSTN phone number and it happens to be in the 6140 xxxx number range.

With the advent of mobile phones, pervasive internet, personal messaging,
email, and name-your-technology, my Ye Olde Land Line is so rarely used by
me or my family that *any* incoming call can be treated with suspicion.

Accordingly, if the home phone rings, it takes a while for us all to agree
that it's not the noise from one of our forgotten 4th devices, and I go
looking for a handset.

When I remember which room the charged cordless handset is in and pick it
up, the two second silence on the line reveals 'Overseas Call Centre'.
Excellent.

If they ask for me by name I say "Oh. he's in the other room, I'll get
him." then drop the handset on the bed and walk away. I once checked back
on this after 30 minutes and the scammer was still there. You're welcome.

If they mention something to do with an account I actually have, I take a
deep breath, wheeze into the phone, and say " I killed him this morning"

That last has saved me from lots of grief.

--
MC