[clug] Offline snooping [now lame telephone scammers]

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 22:57:48 MST 2014

On 31/01/14 14:36, Steve Walsh wrote:
> On 01/31/2014 01:17 PM, steve jenkin wrote:
>> They pretended to be from Telstra Bigpond ("your Internet access is
>> about to be cut-off"),
>> from Windows Technical Support ("you have some malware on your computer")
>> and from somewhere else in Microsoft. ("you have to install an update").
>
> oh. Wow. Really? You're seeing that from my computer? right now? hang on
> a sec
> <cover handset and have muffled conversation about traffic interception>
>
> Hi, still there? Can I confirm you actually saw the traffic come from
> the computer? You did? Ok. hang a sec
>
> <cover handset and have another muffled conversation about this>
>
> Still There? Great. Look, I'm going to need your interception
> enforcement tracking number. We need to escalate this, because that
> traffic should never have been seen. Yeah, IET number, used by law
> enforcement to track any wiretaps or traffic interception. You should
> have one if you're seeing that sort of traffic profile, especially from
> this particular computer. That's the whole reason we have IETNs,
> afterall, to stop people freaking out about the traffic we produce when
> we're going after a targeted individual. Should start with 3 digits, two
> hex characters, be about 16 characters total? I'll need yours and your
> supervisors details so that I can get this sorted out.
> Hello?
> Hello?
>
> I haven't had a call back since.

Sweet. It's not like the Pakistani scammers know how D Class ISDN tap
warrants actually work.
You could also feed them some mumbo jumbo about their VOIP connection -
they might expect you to read the caller ID, but I'd guess they wouldn't
expect you to know it's VOIP. "Not your fault, I did the same job as you
years ago and I appreciate how lazy the remote desktop support queue
managers are - I'll get one of our field officers over there to, um,
explain things immediately".

Kind regards