[clug] Slightly OT: Smartphone Suggestions

Hal Ashburner hal at ashburner.info
Sun Aug 24 21:08:18 MDT 2014

Not what you want but while we're on the general subject of (linux)
smartphones. I'm enjoying the Asus Fonepad which seems to be an actual
telephone with the same hardware as the Nexus 7" tablet for very cheap
money.

Asus ME371MG-1B049A ME371MG 7" Atom Tablet Grey

Droid 4.1. Too much unremoveable utterly stupid sotftware on it that
basically nobody would want (asus crap that's almost as bad as the
permanent g+ garbage that google ship with it as "system software" so
you can't send the bits to /dev/null where they so richly belong).
Runs textsecure & anki well.
Intel cpu, great battery life for a smart phone (something like 3 days
for 50% according to its own readings). Micro sim. Micro sd, 4G
onboard flash. Camera is no better than "average" no flash.
Touchscreen no worse to use (but bigger still) than my previous
samsung note, ie capacitance and pretty good responsiveness. Reading
pdfs is completely doable and done be me every day.
I like having a big phone, fits in my hip pocket and I doubt I look
more stupid than normal talking on it, sounds no different to any
other phone when it's next to your ear.

Paul clearly doesn't want anything of the sort which is also a
reasonable point of view. YMMV.
$170 from some discount house called the good guys was the clincher
for me. Probably won't need replacing a whole lot sooner than an $800
model...
Your search engine will take you there if interested and you can knock
a little cash of the price in store if you're that way inclined.