[clug] [OT] How many CLUG members

Andrew Donnellan andrew at donnellan.id.au
Wed Aug 20 19:36:36 MDT 2014

On 21/08/14 11:20, George at Clug wrote:
> Could someone please explain to me the significance of "[clug] [OT]"
> in the subject line?  Is there some technical email filter that
> manages different User Groups using this text ?

Most mailing list systems automatically add a prefix like [clug] to
subject lines so that people can easily tell that it's a mailing list
message - some people do use it to filter list emails out into separate
folders and so on. This is particularly useful when you subscribe to
lots of different mailing lists and might otherwise have trouble telling
each list apart.

[OT] means "off-topic" - ie discussions which aren't strictly relevant
to the main subject matter of the list. On many mailing lists, OT
discussions are tolerated up to a point as long as they're not *too*
off-topic and enough people are interested in reading it.

> I am also interested to know if this email list is Australia wide, or
> Canberra wide, or maybe some other region?

It's primarily Canberran, but there's a few people from further afield.

> Are you interested in Linux for home use, business use, use by
> educational institutions/non-for-profit organisations, or "d) all of
> the above" ?

All of the above - I've used Linux on my home machines since 2002, I've
used it for business purposes on my personal equipment and on my
servers, and I use it extensively as a Computer Science student at ANU.

Andrew

--
Andrew Donnellan
Director