[clug] [OT] Re: how to use traceroute (now: iinet performance)

Paul Rands lists at paulrands.com
Tue Aug 19 21:46:20 MDT 2014

On 2014-08-19 13:51, steve jenkin wrote:

> Great Story. It belongs
on a "High Praise" wall.
> If only Telstra had one… Such a cheap, simple
way to collect positive stories. Great PR against 'The Evil Empire',
sorely needed…

I think the techs in Dubbo have been doing their job
since the PMG and Telecom days. Most of them are in the older category,
though are paired up with a guy in his 20s when they turn up. I suppose
if this kind of mentoring continued, we would be getting a much better
level of service.

I'm loathed to return to Telstra for my mobile, but I
am finding, even here in Canberra, the Optus coverage is crap. 3G data
rarely works in Belconnen CBD, I get 1 to 2 bars of 3G signal at home,
except in the bedroom where sometimes I get no signal. The tower is
about 500 m from my place in Spence. Perhaps I am in a shadow of the
hill / tower, however when I had to use Telstra 3G prepaid broadband
when I first moved in, I got 4 bars of signal and some excellent speeds,
better than my ADSL some days. Both cells are on top of Mt Rodgers.

My
ADSL is crap because the phone lines are above ground and constantly
getting chewed by native birds. Every few months swathes of houses lose
their landlines and then we battle to get the lines replaced again. I
waited almost 3 months before Telstra finally replaced the feed cable
from the pole to the property. The bloke who turned up after the
previous 2 techs recorded no fault, found the fault immediately, and had
it fixed in 3.5 hours. He was on his own and I had to help him test the
line from the exchange back my place. He put in the hard yards to get me
up and running, and to this day it's still working and I appreciate his
efforts, it's been over a year now.

--
Paul Rands
lists at paulrands.com