[clug] Story: Fijian Resort (now Ubuntu issues with Dell Optiplex 960)

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 03:14:17 MDT 2014

On 06/08/14 17:32, Paul Rands wrote:
> Hi Scott,
>
> Sorry for the delayed reply, I was sick yesterday and busy with other
> stuff the other days.

No worries

> On 29/07/14 21:31, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>> I've got a two more questions - I've marked them with *****
>>
>> On 29/07/14 18:39, Paul Rands wrote:
>> NOTE that I've changed the subject line to aid people using search
>> engines.
>
> I've just changed it, because of my typo of 950, when I meant 960.

Noted

-----8<------------->8---------------------------- >
>> *****Please post the output of:- # for i in system-product-name
>> system-version baseboard-manufacturer baseboard-product-name
>> baseboard-version;do dmidecode -s $i;done NOTE: you'll need to be root
>> and you'll need dmidecode installed # apt-get install dmidecode
> Here we go:
>
> system-product-name
> OptiPlex 960
>
> system-version
> Not Specified
>
> baseboard-manufacturer
> Dell Inc.
>
> baseboard-product-name
> 0G261D
>
> baseboard-version
> A00

Thanks

>> -----8<------------->8----------------------------
>>> I have installed the Intel driver, but can't seem to tell whether
>>> it's working or not.
>> *****Please attach /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>>
> Attached!!

Sorry. Not received. It may be stripped out by the list manager.

Try posting it at http://paste.debian.net/ or similar (if you wouldn't
mind) and post the link.

Thanks for your patience, I guess that's enough hardware and OS
information (apart from the X log). The log 'should' show what the
graphics system is trying to do - and where it's failing.

Depending on that we might need some more (simple) information about the
installation status of some packages and/or system configs.

The problem 'should' be simply solvable - or there'd be more google
hit's for problems with that hardware and ubuntu.

Kind regards