[clug] networking problem

Adrian adrian.blake at ieee.org
Mon Sep 2 05:27:37 MDT 2013

I have an unmanaged switch with 34 of the 48 ports connected to PCs or printers in a classroom. There is an uplink  to a smaller
managed switch. The PCs for, good or bad, use windows xp or 7, a mix. The switch after a few days of good operation then fails to
pass traffic. The LEDs on each port flash indicating that there is traffic on the ports or attempting to send and receive traffic.

Assuming that the switch is not at fault, what external to the switch conditions are likely to block the switch from passing traffic?

If I re-power the switch it will work again for a few more days.

If I listen with wireshark on a port what types of traffic should I look for that are likely to be problematic.

Adrian

--
Adrian Blake
101 Mulach St