[clug] Firefox default profiles directory.

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 05:02:19 MDT 2013

On 24/10/13 21:46, Randall Crook wrote:
> Have a web app that has required a lot of customisation of a specific version of Firefox to run. I know silly setup but I have little say in the development of the app. Unfortunately it's using version 3.5.2 of Firefox.
>
> While this is working fine I want the users to be using a newer version for browsing the net for obvious reasons.
>
> The app in question also using a number of profiles for different aspect of it operation and so I would rather not have a new version of Firefox messing with the apps profiles. Hence the idea of getting the new versions profiles in a different directory structure.
>
> So if I leave the 3.5.2 Firefox to work in the ~/.mozilla/firefox profile directory it would be good the get the lastest Firefox to work in ~/.mozilla/firefox24 . I just don't know how the change the default profiles directory.
>
> I hope that explains it a bit better.

Sure, though it doesn't change my original understanding of your
problem... :)
What steps did you have trouble with in the guide I pointed you to?   It
works fine for me, I run the stable version of Iceweasel *and* the
latest version of Iceweasel (in addition to Windoof versions in WINE) -
they all use separate profiles. How is that not what you want?
If it's too hard (just copy and paste the code in the examples, or ask
here if you have specific problems) the alternative is a simple chroot.

NOTE: if you want to run different versions on Linux at the same time
you need to use the -no-remote switch. The -P switch is only used if you
want to use one of multiple profiles with a *single* version of
Iceweasel/Firefox.

<snipped - top posting discourages help>

Kind regards