[clug] [OT] Broadband in O'Connor

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Wed Oct 2 18:54:28 MDT 2013

On 2 October 2013 22:23, Hugh Blemings <hugh at blemings.org> wrote:
> Hiya,
>
> Hoping I can draw on the direct and recent experience of fellow CLUG folk...
>
> It looks likely that I'll be moving into a rental property in O'Connor,
> one of the streets south of Macarthur Ave in particular (e.g.
> Quinn/Todd/Way/Peel/Lord/Hart/Busby/Finn St) and am investigating
> Broadband options.
>
> According to the NBN website there is work underway on that side of
> Macarthur Ave already, this somewhat backed up by my observation of lime
> green cables about earlier in the year.
>
> Internode (my preferred ISP) seem to corroborate this, their system
> suggesting service will become available sometime around March next
> year.  A bit of a wait and there is, ahem, some uncertainty around
> in-progress (rather than completed) rollouts I gather in view of the
> change of government.
>
> Internode reckon they can probably do naked ADSL2+ to that address,
> about 2-3km cable run from the Civic/Braddon Exchange suggests speeds in
> the 1.5-8Mb range - useable but faster would be better.
>
> And so to Transact - suggestion is from their website that I can get
> Cable VDSL2 which ought be good for 60Mb apparently but my impression,
> based entirely on hearsay is that the quality of links etc. can be a bit
> iffy.  24 month contracts seem to be the norm.
>
> Transact also means switching to another ISP, not the end of the world
> but I've some loyalty to Internode based on so many years of good service.
>
> So I'm leaning toward ADSL2+ w/Internode and sucking up the slower
> speeds until the NBN is (hopefully!) provisioned but would be interested
> to hear the experiences of folk in the area.  By staying with the same
> ISP the waive/discount connection fees etc. etc. too.

Since you're saying you're looking at Naked ADSL2+, do you have an
active phone line there already?  Unless they've changed their
policies, when I was getting internet a few years back the only
companies that would connect me to Naked ADSL2+ without my first
getting an active phone line (just so they could check it would work)
were iiNet and MyNetFone (who seems to resell Optus and Telstra).  I
went with MNF (specifically with their discounted plans for Whirlpool
members): their call centre is Sydney-based (though they don't have
24/7 support), quotas are generous, as are off-peak times (midnight -
10 AM, vs 2 AM - 8 AM with most others that I looked at).  Every now
and then (as in once a year maybe) there's a period where the internet
doesn't work and it can take a while to get back as they're only
resellers, but apart from that I don't have any problems with them.