[clug] How to migrate to Samba4 with samba-tool

ArthyD arthur.dupont at esial.net
Thu Jul 25 02:57:19 MDT 2013

Hello,
There are too few topics about migration using samba-tool, and many of them
are unclear to me.
I would like some explanations about the way to use those tools.

*First let me explain my case: *
I have an old Samba3 server (without lapd) on Fedora 11 that i would like to
migrate to a Samba 4 on fedora 18.
The new server is on a new machine and I'd rather not stop it until the new
one is ready.

*What I've done:*
I've heard that the best way to migrate samba is to use samba-tool.
So after having migrated linux account I copied Samba3 directories (
/etc/samba/* and /var/lib/samba/* ) on the new server ( /root/samba3 )

So I did:
samba-tool domain samba3upgrade --dbdir=/root/samba3/ --use-xattrs=yes
--realm=SAMBA-TEST /root/samba3/smb.conf

But It didn't work, *do anyone can tell me if I miss a step, or if my
command is wrong?*

PS: users and groups IDs has changed since Fedora 15 (from >500 to >1000) so
i have to modify uid and gid.

Regards,
AD