[clug] Is anyone willing to install Kubuntu for me? For a fee?

Paul C. Leopardi paul.leopardi at anu.edu.au
Wed Jul 24 22:17:55 MDT 2013

Hi all,
On Thursday 25 July 2013 07:37:54 Stephen Boyd wrote:
> What boot options does the bios provide?

I am not sure what I am supposed to be looking for and I could not find a BIOS
setup walk through on the web, so I will summarise the screens one at a time.

If I boot the machine, I see a splash screen which has at the bottom:
PLEASE PRESS F2 TO ENTER EFI BIOS SETTINGS

If I hit F2 fast enough, I see a screen with the heading

Aptio Setup Utility - Copyright (C) 2010 American Megatrends, Inc.
with the tabs: Main, Advanced, Boot, Security, Exit
and at the bottom of the screen
Version 2.01.1204. Copyright (C) 2010 American Megatrends, Inc.

Under Main I see
ASUS Eee PC ACPI BIOS
Bios Version 0310
Build Date 03/22/2011
EC Firmware Version EPCD-056t
and can only change System Date and System Time on this tab.

Under Advanced I see
Start Easy Flash [Press ENTER to run the utility to select and update BIOS]
CPU Configuration
-> Cool 'n' Quiet [Enabled]
-> C6 Mode [Disabled]
-> Node 0 Information
IDE Configuration
-> OnChip SATA Type [Native IDE]
Onboard Devices Configuration
-> Onboard Audio [Enabled]
-> Onboard LAN [Enabled]
-> Onboard LAN Boot ROM [Disabled]
-> Onboard Wlan [Enabled]
-> Onboard Bluetooth [Enabled]

Under Boot I see
Boot Configuration
Bootup Numlock State [Off]
Full Screen Logo [Enabled]
Boot Option Priorities
Boot Option #1 [SATA: ST95...]
Hard Drive BBS Priorities
-> Boot Option #1 [SATA: ST95...]
(This is without the USB memory stick plugged in)

Under Security I see
Options to set Administrator, User and HDD passwords

> Most have a legacy mode to support older versions of windows. On my Asus
> zenbook it is labelled UEFI Boot and I have it disabled.

I can't find any option like that.

> Also, I had no problem installing Fedora 19 on a HP notebook that came with
> Windows 8 (BUT the windows virus keeps replacing the boot settings with its
> own - seems to be a HP thing).

My problem seems to be specific to the ASUS 1215B once the hard disk has been
wiped. Possibly related:

http://wernerroth.de/index.php/2011/12/17/kubuntu-11-10-on-a-asus-eeepc-1215b/
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/879858
http://askubuntu.com/questions/70025/how-do-i-install-on-an-uefi-asus-1215b-netbook
https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/1/1/2
http://askubuntu.com/questions/92802/how-can-i-install-on-an-asus-eeepc-1215b-uefi
http://vascoblog.wordpress.com/2011/12/17/the-new-laptop-asus-eee-pc-1215b/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/679733-1215b-efi-partition-image-needed-help-please.html
http://lists.canterbury.ac.nz/pipermail/linux-users/2012-March/001595.html

> Only distributions released in the last 6 or so months support UEFI.

It looks like Ubuntu 12.04 had some sort of UEFI support:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/135621/ubuntu-12-04-using-uefi
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

I just want to match whatever my laptop thinks it needs. Since it originally
came with Windows, an EFI partition, and a hidden recovery partition, and
since there is no "legacy boot" option in the Aptio Setup Utility, I think
that it needs UEFI. I could be wrong.

That's why I would like to pay someone, so I don't waste more of my own time
making mistakes.
All the best, Paul

--
Paul Leopardi