[clug] .com vs .org

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 22:25:32 MST 2013

On 05/02/13 15:54, Craig Small wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 05, 2013 at 02:05:01PM +1100, Conrad wrote:
>> I do not believe the same to be true for .com and .org domains.
>> I've never registered a .org though and it may be that there is
>> some evidence required to qualify for one.
> For an .org domain they ask you two things: what .org do you want
> what is your CC number. (ok a bit more than that but you get the
> idea)

Quite a bit more in *most* cases. We want to see proof of your
non-profit status - and we are required to keep a record.

Sadly many will settle for a fax and don't appear to understand digital
signatures. And I'm just referring to those that follow the rules. Not
the ones who did their training through the Internet Worriers Forum.

> I registered one a week or two ago.  Maybe its a bit tighter for
> com.au; it used to be but I don't think that even applies now.
>
> - Craig

Ouch.

And you trust a registrar/reseller who doesn't follow the legal
requirements for registering a domain name - to manage your domain name,
and look after your credit card details?

Did you buy a hosting deal from them as well? (I hope not)

Isn't that like buying "re-hot bargain electronics" in a pub?

2LDs categories:-
http://www.auda.org.au/domains/au-domains/

2LDs policies:- (failure to comply can involve losing your domain)
http://www.auda.org.au/policies/auda-2005-01/

Shonk reporting:-
http://www.auda.org.au/form-complaint-registrar.php

Beware of strong-arm site "flippers" - if you build traffic and don't
have the requirements to rent the domain name you can lose it:-
http://www.dundaslawyers.com.au/legal-services/technology-law/domain-name-disputes/

Not that I'm accusing you of doing something wrong - but those that
skirt the rules don't always profit from it (shonky affiliate marketers
using other companies ABNs etc)

Kind regards