[clug] SSD drives and lots of writes

Arjen Lentz arjen at lentz.com.au
Mon Sep 24 16:48:55 MDT 2012

Hi Kim

> > The laptop SSD I prepped and also tuned the filesystem and OS to
> > behave more properly for the SSD. And another brand, later model,
> > etc.
> >
> > I'd say it's definitely beneficial to do the proper preparation and
> > tuning - at least it won't hurt and just takes a bit of time. less
> > hassle in the long run, probably.
>
> So, what do you mean by the proper preparation and tuning?

See http://danweinreb.org/blog/using-solid-state-disks-on-linux and other blogs/articles.
Ted T'so wrote an excellent item on it, unfortunately it appears rather difficult to find now.

Anyway the short version is there are things to consider when partitioning the SSD and when initialising a filesystem on it - those things can't be tweaked later. That's mostly for speed.

And then you have mount options like noatime and a few other tricks that reduce unnecessary writes.

Cheers,
Arjen.
--
Exec.Director @ Open Query (http://openquery.com) MySQL services