[clug] SSD drives and lots of writes

Alastair D'Silva alastair at d-silva.org
Mon Sep 24 03:00:40 MDT 2012

As a counter argument, my primary server at home is running ZFS
(OpenSolaris) with an L2ARC (read cache) and log on separate partitions on
an SSD.

I've been through about 4 Supertalent FTM64GX25H SSDs, which all failed with
read errors after about 3 months of use.

Since I replaced the drive with an Sandforce based drive, it has been much
more reliable, however, I have still had the drive drop off the machine, and
was only able to bring it back by TRIMing the whole drive in another
machine.

--
Alastair D'Silva           mob: 0423 762 819
twitter: evildeece   msn: alastair at d-silva.org
blog: http://alastair.d-silva.org