[clug] GNOME 3 in trouble according to El reg. True or a beat up? (linux Digest, Vol 119, Issue 3, Message 2)

Miles Goodhew mgoodhew at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 16:15:33 MST 2012

All,
  This seems to be what I've heard of Gnome for some time.
  Personally my preferred desktop has been XFCE (Xubuntu) for... a
long time (Maybe 2001-ish, if it actually existed then). Nevertheless
I've just blindly downloaded and installed subsequent "plain vanilla"
Ubuntu releases with whatever WM they come with mostly since.
  It's mainly that I just don't spend much time on the desktop of any
Linux distro, often I'll try the GUI for a few minutes before heading
off to CTRL-ALT-F1-land. Most of the time I'm stuck with an MS-Windows
desktop (Not a choice!)
  The one radical UI development I'd like to see is to do-away with
the overlapping window. I'd like something like the Eclipse platform
as a window manager. Ratpoison is sort-of following this idea, but it
could do with a bit more versatility of control and a
spaces/desktops/perspectives feature.

M0les.