[clug] Debain Squeeze + Raedon 6450

Francis James Whittle fj.whittle at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 20:20:54 MDT 2012

Hi Kevin,

That Wiki page — seriously out of date.  The only things from value in
it are:

aptitude install firmware-linux-nonfree
aptitude install libgl1-mesa-dri

and a little bit rebuilding the kernel, but seriously, AGP?

This sounds a lot like trying to load up a KMS driver without KMS kernel
support.

If you could say what version of the kernel you're running, possibly
along with those x11 logs (and a dmesg dump if you can) it would help,
but I'd suggest at least that you should grab the 3.2 kernel, x server,
mesa drivers, and libdrm2 (and libdrm-radeon1) from squeeze-backports.

apt-get install -t squeeze-backports linux-image-3.2.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 xserver-xorg-video-ati libdrm2 libdrm-radeon1 libgl1-mesa-dri

That should give you an up-to-date-enough system (it _could_ use newer
versions of mesa and libdrm, but pulling from unstable is only for the
brave), and if you make sure that all traces of the Catatonic drivers
are removed it should give you a good starting point, and potentially a
good finishing point.  You may also need to make sure the radeon module
is loaded in your initramfs, although I believe that should be taken
care of automatically now.

Cheers,
Francis