[clug] f14->f16 upgrade blues [conclusion]

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Wed Mar 21 15:59:32 MDT 2012

[3rd time after an iinet spam filter stopped this]

I gave up and did a f14->f15 upgrade, which was a real test of my
will but was completed.

On my other machine, which was already on f15, I did a f15->f16 preupgrade
last weekend.

Apart from a few unusual errors(1), and the machine non-bootable at the
end (2) it was much less trouble that the 14->15.

Eyal

(1) when encountering an error the install aborts, leaving you with a
useless mishmash. A reboot into preupgrade did continue from the failure
point to completion (but see [2]).

This is what came up during the cleanup stage:

ERR anaconda: AnacondaYum._run: PackageSackError: Rpmdb checksum is invalid: dCDPT(pkg checksums): x264-libs.x86_64 0:0.0.0-0.31.20110811.fc16 - u

(2) The grub conf had *only* the preupgrade entry and the necessary files
for this were actually removed. I net booted from my clonezilla image,
edited the config (added the missing f16 entry, the files were present)
and it booted OK.

--
Eyal Lebedinsky	(eyal at eyal.emu.id.au)