[clug] Linking satellite TV with linux computer?

Mark Purcell mark at purcell.id.au
Wed Jan 4 22:14:43 MST 2012

On Thu, 5 Jan 2012 08:36:10 jhock wrote:
> Happy new year etc. ;--) We have installed a 2.1 metre satellite dish
> that is configured to access eight geostationary satellites. My wife
> likes watching Chinese TV via the digital satellite receiver but the
> shows are usually late at night so she misses out on most of them.
John,

lyngsat is your friend here as it will tell you about analog, digital and
encrypted signals. (lyngsat.com)

> I remember lots of talk about MythTV on this list and was wondering if a
> linux computer could be linked up with the satellite signal decoder to
> record TV shows at different times of the night to be watched at more
> convenient times.

Have a look into the DVB-S stuff under linux. (linuxtv.org), in particular look
at the dvb-apps package. http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/LinuxTV_dvb-apps

There are a number of PCI cards you can get that will take your sat feed and
pipe into linux.  You will want to get the DVB-S signal working correctly
standalone before you want to try with mythtv, szap works very well under
linux.

> Has anybody done this or can anyone suggest some software/hardware
> configurations that can do this?

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/DVB-S

Mark