[clug] Linking satellite TV with linux computer?

jhock jhock at iinet.net.au
Wed Jan 4 14:36:10 MST 2012

Hi All,

Happy new year etc. ;--) We have installed a 2.1 metre satellite dish
that is configured to access eight geostationary satellites. My wife
likes watching Chinese TV via the digital satellite receiver but the
shows are usually late at night so she misses out on most of them.

I remember lots of talk about MythTV on this list and was wondering if a
linux computer could be linked up with the satellite signal decoder to
record TV shows at different times of the night to be watched at more
convenient times.

Has anybody done this or can anyone suggest some software/hardware
configurations that can do this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

John