[clug] Pioneer computers

Sanders King sanders at mupanda.com
Wed Jan 4 16:39:32 MST 2012

I bought a tablet from them about a year ago with Ubuntu pre-installed,
according to them 'as a service'.  I swapped several e-mails with them
first confirming that the tablet would work with Ubuntu and they kept on
reassuring me that it worked well.  When it arrived the touch screen didn't
work (as I should have expected really - Android being the open-source OS
of choice for tablets) and there was no on-screen keyboard installed.  When
I queried them about it, their solution was to either use my tablet with a
keyboard and mouse plugged in (huh?) or to pay them more money for a copy
of Windows that worked on the tablet.  As you might understand neither
solution was acceptable to me, so I asked to return the tablet.  They
flatly refused, were unhelpful and rude.  I took the matter to Fair Trading
and eventually got my money back (minus a lot of postage).

Even after that, they still advertised the tablet as working with Ubuntu.
 They had an asterisk next to this claim, stating that they don't support
Ubuntu (fair enough), but they were trying to use that as a
get-out-gaol-free-card when Ubuntu didn't work as advertised.  Pretty poor
corporate policy, I think.

I will never deal with Pioneer computers again.  :-(

Cheers

Sanders