[clug] [OT] New Interconnect from Intel+Apple: Thunderbolt. 2*10Gbps. mini-display-port compatible

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Sun Feb 27 17:54:44 MST 2011

On 28/02/2011, at 11:29 , Ben Nizette wrote:

> I wasn't under the impression that Thunderbolt was in any way tied to Sandybridge

I don't know about the "tie" between Thunderbolt and Sandybridge other than Sandybridge providing a bus fast enough for Thunderbolt to work. I imagine you'll be able to get PCI/PCI-X/PCI-E/etc cards to give your existing museum piece a Thunderbolt port, but don't expect to get 10Gbps throughput :)

> Thunderbolt seems to be restricted to Macs at the moment

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=light+peak+thunderbolt&aq=f

Check the Intel Light Peak demo videos. Most of the computers they're demoing on are Wintels.

Alex