[clug] [OT] New Interconnect from Intel+Apple: Thunderbolt. 2*10Gbps. mini-display-port compatible

Ben Nizette bn at niasdigital.com
Sun Feb 27 17:29:26 MST 2011

On 28/02/2011, at 10:23 AM, Alex Satrapa wrote:

>> Only if the price of Intel controller chips and adaptors is reasonable...
>> - needs other laptop manufacturers to get on-board
>> - needs peripheral vendors to embrace it
>
> Everyone else will do it because Apple is doing it. Other PC manufacturers would be releasing Thunderbolt now, except for those unfortunate bugs with Sandybridge.

I wasn't under the impression that Thunderbolt was in any way tied to Sandybridge but CMIIW.  I thought that Mac got around the Sandybridge problem by only using the unaffected 6Gbps SATA ports just as some other manufacturers are starting to do [1].  Thunderbolt seems to be restricted to Macs at the moment just because Mac got the dev kits back in 2009 and other manufacturers are only getting them now (remember all Intel's Light Peak demos over the last few years have all been on Macs).  That said, this last claim seems mostly to be on sites like Macrumors etc rather than properly reputable repositories of tech news.

	--Ben.

[1] http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2011/02/08/fixed-sandy-bridge-chip-sets-to-be-in-the-c/1