[clug] [OT] New Interconnect from Intel+Apple: Thunderbolt. 2*10Gbps. mini-display-port compatible

Ben Nizette bn at niasdigital.com
Sun Feb 27 23:30:04 MST 2011

On 28/02/2011, at 11:54 AM, Alex Satrapa wrote:

> On 28/02/2011, at 11:29 , Ben Nizette wrote:
>
>> I wasn't under the impression that Thunderbolt was in any way tied to Sandybridge
>
> I don't know about the "tie" between Thunderbolt and Sandybridge other than Sandybridge providing a bus fast enough for Thunderbolt to work.

Point :)

> I imagine you'll be able to get PCI/PCI-X/PCI-E/etc cards to give your existing museum piece a Thunderbolt port, but don't expect to get 10Gbps throughput :)
>
>> Thunderbolt seems to be restricted to Macs at the moment
>
> http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=light+peak+thunderbolt&aq=f
>
> Check the Intel Light Peak demo videos. Most of the computers they're demoing on are Wintels.

AFAICT most of those were shot at the end of 2010.  If you drop the 'Thunderbolt' from the query, that name of course wasn't known until a few weeks ago, the 2009 demos are all OS X eg [1].

But I don't doubt that PC manufacturers will bust a nut trying to get this tech in to their next-gen machines, Mac just has a tasty head-start.

	--Ben.

[1] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khPx1dEIPnA