[clug] very FAT linux filesystems or cluster pixes?

David Deaves David.Deaves at dd.id.au
Tue Feb 22 22:46:00 MST 2011

My first guess would be the block (and or fragment) size of the filesystem.

This determines the minimum allocation unit.  If all your files are smaller
than the minimum allocation unit on file system 1 which has a say a minimum
allocation of 2k and you copy them over to a filesystem with a minimum
allocation size of 4k then you will naturally consume twice as much space.

It may even be a 4k (common on ext2fs and friends) verses an 8k min allocation
unit - I am not particularly aware of such a filesystem, but would not be
greatly surprised if some massive SAN style device did such a thing. Expecting
to be full of bloated word documents rather than fast and light (I hope) web
content.

Dave !