[clug] very FAT linux filesystems or cluster pixes?

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 22:12:54 MST 2011

On 23/02/11 14:23, A Gupta wrote:
> With that sort of size variation, block size difference doesn't explain it.
>
> I think either they may be showing the size based on total raw disk
> space you use (if you are provided RAID volume etc) or by default there
> might be some files/utilities occupying around 15MB space in the file
> system which are hidden from the end user.

RAID might explain it, I'm "assuming" the hosting company does RAID
their drives... it's a cheap as dirt shared hosting package. The problem
then is why advertise x amount of disk space when you actually get x/2
of disk space. It's not godaddy doing this - this is a fairly reputable
local company.

Hidden files are certainly possible, but unlikely given that regardless
of what the actual size of the files uploaded, the remote system shows
double.

Being limited to ftp and cPanel means I can't really check a whole lot
(eg. can't "ls -lahs" to check for frothy files). The hosting company
won't allow ssh, but do provide Fffrontpage extensions whether you want
them or not, and remote MySQL.

I've queried support several times and they've adroitly avoided a direct
answer - though they have "gifted" me with an extra 75% of space, but
not before telling how cheap extra capacity is.

Not understanding why this is happening is the most irritating thing -
and I dread the idea of trying to explain to a client why they are
paying for twice the space they actually use. It's also a little
embarrassing that I've failed to notice this before - only last month I
proudly told a client that old static site had been replaced by a new
site with twice the content and taking up 1/4 of the files space - when
I checked yesterday that site is roughly 60MB on my server, nearly 120MB
on the hosted server :-(