[clug] Installing an Android OS onto a PC

Michael Carden crash at michaelcarden.net
Wed Feb 16 22:41:16 MST 2011

> a) attempting to download "Quickmark Barcode Scanner" from Android Market
> to my PC failed; after complying with the request to "sign in" (which
> automatically sent my GMail login data), I was advised that "there are no
> android phones associated with this account" - which is true.  I have no
> android phone (and no ready access to Android Market via my tablet);

So if you plan to download to your PC then copy to the tablet, there's
no need to use the market. Just find a suitable apk package on a
developer's web site. Here's the first Google hit I got for something
I could just download:
http://www.androidfreeware.net/download-barcode-scanner.html

> b) the tablet does provide ready access to "Apps Market"; this offers a
> "Barcode Scanner 3.3.1" for download.  I read some of the 51 comments
> from users who tried that package.  None of the users got the package to
> work.

So there's some other 'market' that your tablet is set up for eh? It
has only *one* barcode scanning app? That's odd. Perhaps try searching
on 'QR code' instead of 'Barcode.'

> c) although my tablet includes a camera, the supplied manual gives no
> hints on how to use this feature.

The dealextreme page you linked to shows a screenshot with a camera
icon. Does the camera work when you tap that?

--
MC