[clug] Ubuntu compatible laptop

Mike Carden mike.carden at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 20:24:43 MDT 2010

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 12:14 PM, Warren Gardner
<warrenjgardner at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am having a lot of trouble choosing a laptop.

And my response here won't be directly helpful in that regard so feel
free to ignore me, but I have two comments.

1. Extended warranty.

My experience in the electronics industry is that extended warranty is
the last remaining cash cow in an industry otherwise cut to the bone
on profit margins. It makes boatloads of money for the people who sell
it. Personally, I will never purchase one. Still, I'm sure there are
people out there who have been saved by their extended warranties when
something died a few years down the track, but they're massively
outnumbered by those who made the seller of the warranties rich.

2. It's entirely irrational I know, but I won't set foot in a place
that can't spell 'Lappy'.

--
MC