[clug] Ubuntu compatible laptop

Warren Gardner warrenjgardner at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 20:14:30 MDT 2010

Hi

I am having a lot of trouble choosing a laptop.

I want to run Ubuntu (poss. Medibuntu). I will probably have a partition for
the Windows that ship with the computer, at least until I am more
experienced with linux.

I intend to be using GIMP, video editing, and would like to try Blender.  So
something that can comfortably handle that kind of work would be good.

I took a liking to the TOSHIBA Satellite A500/031 in the Civic Lapyking
store.
https://www.lapyking.com.au/online-shop/laptops/toshiba-satellite-a500-031.html
Priced at $1,200 down from $1,600, plus $165 for extended warranty (whatever
that covers me for). That is right on my limit.

Researching Toshiba-Ubuntu combinations turns up many complaints about
overheating, suspend problems, and f-key issues. It appears to be an on
going issue. Perhaps Toshiba are not interested in anything but Microsoft. I
cannot find much on this particular model (Satellite A500/031).

Lapyking are happy for me to boot a LiveCD in the store but can give me no
information about Linux on their computers. I am not confident of finding
potential problems during an in-store live boot.

If anyone has some information on this computer, or something else that will
meet my needs (and not die in 1yr and 1day) I would love to hear about it.

Thank you
Warren

PS. I was thinking of posting my question in the Ubuntu forums as well but I
expect I will probably hear about models unavailable in Australia.