[clug] pizza system

Antti Roppola anttir at shub-niggurath.elder-gods.net
Thu Sep 23 17:54:50 MDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 12:00:03PM -0600, steve wrote:

> I know Paul rides a motor bike so can not easily pick up the pizzas, also I
> only have a bicycle at work so can not get them, Mikal's wife is allergic to
> ham so making his car smell like dead pig is not a good plan. However I
> think the pizzas should be picked up as they will be a lot cheaper.
> However this does require someone to go pick things up and potentially miss
> some talk time.
>
> The other option is increase the pizza price every month, also have someone
> buy drinks and cups and bring them a long.

I'd say check to see if anyone is willing to pick up at the time of ordering
and adjust prices accordingly. Say:

"Pizza and drinks will be $8(?) each unless someone wants to volunteer to go pick them up"

I also think whoever collects could have their own pizza tithe covered by the others.

> The 3/4 calculation proved far too many at linux.conf.au 2005, however it
> was surmised the gannets at CLUG [0] could sustain that amount easily.

The algorithm is empirically derived and the callibration dataset was
for small groups of people < 50. It's quite clear that the 2/3 or 3/4
formula does not scale for massively parallel pizza consumption. Beyond
50, the least significant bits of pizza saturate the gannet buffer.

Antti