[clug] Brackets and buggy FAT implementations

Ben Nizette bn at niasdigital.com
Wed Oct 13 01:00:38 MDT 2010

Hi List, Tridge,

I'm doing some beta testing for a piece of software and the default format for it's output filenames currently includes bracket characters '[', ']'.  I know these are legal in FAT long names - just not short names - but I also know that many pieces of software bork if you try and name your files using these anyway (eg Microsoft Office).

I was wondering whether in anyone's experience, particularly during the Linux FAT short-name munging a few months ago, a buggy FAT filesystem implementation has come to light that's going to get cranky when you try and copy a such-named file across.  Or, for that matter, any other compatibility issues anyone can foresee.

Thanks,
	--Ben.