[clug] Persuading Debian to talk to an Android tablet via USB?

Felix Karpfen felix.karpfen at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 21:51:11 MDT 2010

On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 11:58:56 +1100, Daniel Pittman wrote:

> Felix Karpfen <felix.karpfen at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I have purchased an Android tablet
>>
>> I had hoped that I could copy my already-downloaded books from my
>> computer to the SD_card.  So far, I have failed.
>>
>> Is it a lost cause?
>

> In the phone version this shows up in the notification area when you
> connect a computer: you plug in the cable, open notifications, tap the
> option for mounting the device to the computer, and you are done.

This advice is identical with the instructions in the "User Manual".  And
it does not work.  The opened "notification" shows a blank screen.

Based on advice posted to the forum that is run by the (Chinese)
supplier, it looks as though I have a "hardware problem".  I quote (the
English has some oddities and typos):

Any Android (BTW, a linux derivative also) device is supposed to
recognize a USB data port when connected to one and at least inform of
such in the notifications area thus allowing users to mount itself as a
mass storage device or remain in the default COM profile for the purposes
such profile serves. Your tablet, on the other end, is behaving as
connected to a USB power only port port like many Android phones which
use the same cable for data and charging. Maybe this one isn't supposed
to be connected that way albeit the generic procedure as mentioned in the
user's manual is correct for the vast majority of Android smartphones and
tablets.

End of quote.

I am hot on the trail of a "USB adapter for an SD Card" (cost $1.99 -
shipped free of charge from HongKong).  It may do what my $20 Australian
USB cable has failed to do.

I suggest my flagged problem be given a back-seat until the adapter
arrives and has been checked.

Meanwhile my thanks to all who have offered advice and suggestions.

Felix

--
Felix Karpfen
Public Key 72FDF9DF (DH/DSA)