[clug] The harsh realities of CLUG

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Wed May 19 02:16:41 MDT 2010

Mike Carden wrote:
> On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 5:57 PM, steve jenkin <sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
>
>> There's AUUG/CAUUG-NG been created as a loose collective like CLUG.
>> I.e. there's no formal structure with a bank account and cheque book.
>> [and indemnity insurance].  Might Linux Australia do this?
>

> There is currently the idea that groups can set up as sub-committees
> of Linux Australia and take advantage of insurance and infrastructural
> things that LA has. Pycon is one such and there are murmurings of a
> Drupal group in Melbourne forming soon.
>
> So if someone has a plan, run it up the LA flagpole and see if anyone salutes.

There is a history of CLUG resisting being organized into anything other
than a people's collective. The usual argument is that being organized
just adds paperwork.

I'm not saying those people are right, but it is true that we don't have
much need for insurance et cetera.

LA has lots of money though -- what about asking them to fly an
interesting speaker in once a year from some Australian city?

Mikal