[clug] The harsh realities of CLUG

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Wed May 19 02:15:14 MDT 2010

steve jenkin wrote:
> Michael Still wrote on 19/05/10 10:07 AM:
>> Paul Wayper wrote:
>>
>>> Any other thoughts on ways we can improve the CLUG group and make it more
>>> accessible to people are welcome!
>> I was thinking about this more on the bus this morning, and its time for
>> an old man rant.
>>
>> I'd like to see more of a focus on fundamentals. It seems to me that a
>> lot of the people I meet don't have a very good grasp of the basics, and
>> that there is therefore a gap that needs to be filled there.
>
> FWIW.
>
> I've had more than one request from people I've visited to help for
> "How do I learn about this stuff" or "What book can I buy".
>
> I can't suggest anything nor send them anywhere for 'the basics'.
> Leaves them lost and struggling, which I don't like doing.
> [It's also a poor use of my time, 1:1 teaching of basics without a
> structured course or drills.]
>
> I learnt a lot from the CAUUG Summer Conference Tutorials and greatly
> miss them.

Yeah, I'm not too interested in charging, but I'd be interested in a
series of fundamentals talks at CLUG. Perhaps one of the talks a month
if we can provide presenters?

I should clarify though. I don't mean talks about how to change
directories, or setup apache. I mean talks about how marshalling for a
system call works, or how filesystems use inodes (and what an inode
is!), and that sort of thing. Some sort of deep dive into something
people otherwise don't think about.

Mikal